Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Illness

I have the flu. Lovely. Just as I was starting to get into the swing of things - making friends, joining clubs, rocking my tutorials. NOT okay.

I had to cancel my tutorial yesterday because a) I could barely move and b) I didn't want to spread disease amongst the Oxford population. Bad enough I'm doing it to my flatmates. So I emailed my tutor and said that I wasn't feeling well, that the doctor said I might have the flu, can we please reschedule? He responded, "I suppose that's fine. Are you still on track for our other tutorial? You know, the Oxford term is quite hectic and we can't really afford to rearrange tutorials like this in the future. But, if you're sick, you're sick. Feel better."

And, of course, I felt horrible.

Granted he doesn't know this, but I'm not the kind of person to fake illness to get out of doing things. I was up at 4:30 that morning agonizing over what to do. Spending the whole day in bed watching reruns of the OC online and reading, though it was quite pleasant, drove me crazy. I'm not being productive. And I hate not being productive.

Oh, and for anyone considering going abroad, do yourself a favor and don't get sick. It's quite obnoxious to be ill in a place where people can't just go pick things up for you and dote on you to make you feel better, and your friendly and familiar doctor isn't around to smile at you and give you the right medicine.

I am forcing myself to get better soon. I can't stand this lying around, feeling miserable-ness. So enough is enough.

1 comment:

  1. I think most people get sick when they go abroad, due to all the new germs... it's kind of unavoidable. I was sick when I got there and then came down with bronchitis right at the end of the term (that lingered for about a month, yay). At least we're young and hardy, right?

    Hope you feel better...

    ReplyDelete