Thursday, February 4, 2010

Travel Plans

The time has come to begin my travels. I was chatting with a friend of mine from Stetson who is currently studying in Spain. She's going to come visit me once the term ends, and we're going to go up to Ireland. I also have the opportunity to bum around with her and her friend in Vienna, Prague, and somewhere in Northern Italy in late March during her spring break. My other dear friend who is studying abroad in Switzerland is going to visit me at some point, and we're going to visit Scotland.

Three difficulties: timing, money, and finding a travel partner. No way I am traveling anywhere by myself. My flatmates are good candidates; plus there are others in the program I've befriended who could accompany me. Combining who I can travel with and when we can travel there may prove to be extremely difficult.

I've prioritized my travel goals. I want to go everywhere that a person could possibly go, and get the most out of everywhere I go. Unfortunately, I am not that experienced with travel and therefore may find myself wasting lots of time wandering around aimlessly. I need to have a plan. Or, perhaps the trick of great traveling is not having a plan and just going wherever the wind takes me. I have no idea. I have to find out soon, though, because the time approaches. I digress. Prioritized travel goals include: Ireland. Scotland. France. Spain. The first three because they are the most easily accessible. The last because my friend is studying there, and I've wanted to go there for years. I'm not sure if I should limit myself to those four just for the sake of having a limit, but then that might close me off to other possibilities ... I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

On another note, I realized that, even though I have only been here for four weeks, I am going to miss this place. It's beginning to feel like home, like I belong here. This is my flat, my city. Even though it has been difficult, I've built a life for myself, as I tend to do. I have established a rhythm. Not the same kind of rhythm as at home, where everything is in a routine and is structured and constantly moving. No, this is a different rhythm. It's as if I have connected with my surroundings, and we work with each other. Does that make sense? I'm at peace with this place. And I'm thoroughly enjoying that peace.

Time for bed, and Wuthering Heights in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I had already commented on this post but I guess it didn't work...

    The gyst was that if you want traveling advice we should skype (so you don't have to re-learn anything I figured out the hard way lol).

    My skype name is ajpriceonline, email or fb me to set a time!

    ReplyDelete