Sunday, March 7, 2010

Homesick

So. All day today I've been homesick.

This is a new feeling for me. I don't get homesick. But, right now, I am incredibly homesick.

I want to get back to my life. The life where schoolwork, community service, clubs, and social life performed an intricate and painstakingly choreographed dance around one another. The life where I knew almost everyone I saw, where I had a place, where I was significant in one way or another.

I miss it.

I am definitely appreciating the time I have here, and getting far too excited about my future travels (this time next week, I will be in Scotland!). But still.

I want to climb the stairs to my dorm room, my footsteps echoing in the stairwell. I want to open my door, fling my things onto my desk, and drop heavily onto my green fuzzy chair and vent to Jillian about my day. I want to walk into a Bonner meeting, and be greeted with smiles and hugs. I want to meander through the campus, grinning broadly at everyone I know.

I want to make the drive to Daddy's house, key in the code to open the garage door, and be tackled by my exuberant chocolate lab. I want to bicycle through the community, trailing after my father. I want to to curl up on the leather couch to watch Antiques Roadshow with my father and stepmother, bowl of ice cream in hand and book at my side.

I want to be in Connecticut, lounging and watching television on my mother's king size bed, only to be pestered by our fat orange cat. I want to recline in the chair in the living room with my best friend on the couch, watching The Bachelorette. I want to make my way up the stairs to the room I have inhabited my entire life and fall into bed after a long day of work and seeing old friends.

I want to go home. Only problem is, I can't decide to which home I most want to go. I miss all three homes.

Homesickness, times three.

2 comments:

  1. so sorry i didn't read this until now-- hope you're feeling better about life. with your latest post, it seems that way! have fun! (is tomorrow your last day?!)

    ReplyDelete