Saturday, January 16, 2010

Random Observations

Do me a favor while reading this blog. Imagine it being spoken in a soft British accent, narrating as I walk the streets with my hands in the pockets of my unbuttoned black peacoat, skinny jeans, and black leather boots, hair billowing in the wind. That's what was in my mind as I composed this blog while walking back from my extensive errands today.

Today's to-do list took me to the Magdalen College library, the English Faculty Library (which unfortunately closed 20 minutes before I got there), the Bodleian Library (the Bod, after an accidental detour into a nearby college), the market to purchase bananas and crumpets, the pharmacy (or the chemist) to purchase nail polish remover, and back to my flat. So far today I've walked almost 3.5 miles, and have yet to walk another two. I love it. And no, that isn't sarcasm.

Wandering the streets of Oxford results in sensory overload. The cold bites at my cheeks and chin (though today the snow and ice are all gone - no more slipping for me!), the wind whistles in my ears, cars and bikes fight for the right of way on the roads, enormous buses zoom by so closely that I am surprised no one gets hit, and people of all shapes, sizes, and ethnicities bustle up and down the sidewalks, intent upon reaching their destination before anyone else. Not to mention the juxtaposition of architecture that is hundreds of years old with extremely modern shops - it still fascinates me. Errands are exhilarating, and exhausting.

I must say, what most British women lack in exquisite beauty, they make up for in impeccable dress. I have seen perhaps four or five women dressed poorly during the week and a half I've been here. Expensive (or at least, appearing expensive) boots, patterned tights or black leggings, tweed shorts, layered dresses or long sweaters, skintight skinny jeans (extremely rare - everyone wears leggings or tights - how they don't freeze is beyond me), dangling necklaces, elaborate scarves, hats pulled low over hair that looks fresh from the catwalk, and perfectly applied makeup. I consider myself to be a relatively (emphasize the word relatively) fashionable dresser and I look extremely plain next to all of these fashion models. It's amazing.

A few things I've noticed that have surprised me in their similarity to American culture (perhaps Western culture?): women are rarely seen driving if a man is in the front seat, the homeless are overlooked, "excuse me" is a typical response after accidentally bumping into someone, children are doted upon, hot topics are treated delicately in most cases and in others result in loud arguments, men stare at attractive young women, and store clerks are extremely friendly and helpful.

A few things I've noticed that have surprised me in their difference from American culture: waiters and bartenders are not tipped (or are tipped very little), eye contact on the street is highly avoided, people are less willing to forgive mistakes, several people have a beer or wine with most lunches and dinners, the word "quite" is interpreted as "less than" (so saying a meal was "quite delicious" or a lecture was "quite fascinating" means that the meal was less than delicious or the lecture boring), the elderly are respected for their knowledge and experience, ad caring for the environment (i.e., recycling, vehicles with eco-friendly emissions, reuse of plastic grocery bags, disposing of rubbish properly, etc.) is second nature.

Interesting, no?

1 comment:

  1. Oh Maria, you make me laugh...

    Have you noticed that there are always people running on the sidewalk? That was something that always confused me...like everyone knew something that I didn't and was rushing there haha. Not just legitimate runners, either (with, like, spandex or whatever), but men in suits with briefcases, women with babies, old people. They were probably just rushing to catch a bus, but it always caught me offguard.

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete