Monday, January 4, 2010

Preparation

I know I said that I wouldn't post more until I actually got over to England (2.5 days - but who's counting?). However, there is so much that I have been doing, considering, researching, etc. that I feel the need to write about it all.

Preparation: For the past three weeks, I've been purchasing clothes, making phone calls, sending emails, and doing a variety of menial - but important - tasks to prepare for my experience abroad. (Side note: it had better be damn worth it. Pardon my language.) I've had to call the credit card company and the bank to alert them that I'll be abroad and that they should not freeze my account when they see a charge at a breakfast joint on Thursday morning. I've had to register with the embassy in London, make numerous copies of my passport and insurance cards, call the OSAP office in Virginia in a panic that my housing deposit would be late due to the forms originally having been sent to Florida and subsequently forwarded to snowy Connecticut, and mailed dozens of forms to lovely England, along with several new passport photographs. Not that anyone really cares - I just never realized that there was this much work involved in going abroad, and I feel the need to warn people :) I have several new sweaters, a new pair of (fake) suede boots, a new peacoat, a baby umbrella, a neck pouch (which I cannot believe I will actually wear - how very "touristy" of me), a hat, and very very thick socks. I have eliminated several unnecessary items from my luggage, and pray that when I begin the packing process on Tuesday, everything will fit comfortably within my suitcase and duffel (duffle?) bag with room to spare. Enough about that.

Classes: I will be taking two classes while I'm abroad. One will focus on 19th century British Literature, chronologically or not. The other will focus on literature from different parts of the globe, studying the effects of globalization on indigenous culture and how it is reflected through their literature. I have one tutor for both of my tutorials. He seems very nice - a Rhodes scholar. Maybe he can give me some tips for my future application (which is contingent upon my liking Oxford while I'm there). Anyway, we've been in contact and I've been planning my classes. I am taking charge of my learning, and loving every minute of it. We've selected (in tandem) six or seven books for me to read before I actually get there, and I can't wait.
My reading list:

  • The Moonstone
  • David Copperfield
  • The Lyrical Ballads
  • A Grain of Wheat
  • Midnight's Children
  • Season of Migration to the North
Service: I've also been researching service sites. With the help of some contacts at Oxford, I came across several potentials that seem to fit my passions quite nicely. The Gatehouse, for one, is an "Oxford-based charity providing food, shelter and company to Oxford's homeless and poorly housed population," taken directly from its website. It is a cafe that serves food to those in need within Oxford, and hosts several events throughout the week. Perfect, no? I could volunteer there several evenings a week. I have to get in touch with the people there, ask a few questions, see if it's what I want to do. There is another site called The Gap. Here's a blurb from the web: "The Gap is a community resources for homeless, vulnerable, and socially excluded people (16+ years) in Oxfordshire. We enable an appropriate move on to independent and sustainable lifestyles for all, thus limiting the impact on the individual, the family, and the community. We provide a wide range of services, advice and support on housing and resettlement, alcohol and substance misuse issues, sexual health issues, mental health issues, and employment and training." Hmm. I don't know how I'll choose. There are also several projects sponsored directly by the university, which would give me the opportunity to bond with people from Oxford. I'll look into those too.

And this blog has been far too long. Next time I write, I shall be sitting in my flat in Oxford, in England, breathing a sigh of relief that I made the trip from the United State to the airport to the study abroad office to my flat safely and without too much hassle. Wish me luck!

1 comment: